Saturday, October 2, 2010

3 Architects to emulate

This blog will talk about three architects that I would have inspired my way of designing and style when it comes to structures.

Tom Phifer: Tom Phifer headed the construction of the North Carolina Museum of Art. His plan for this building was so that it would disappear into the landscape. This is why I chose Tom Phifer. I loved his concept on the museum where he will be able to take a building, then make it blend into the surrounds. In this case, a lush section of grass and trees. I would like to be able to do this, the blending and all, and take it a step further by actually incorporating the environment around me (Rain, dead leaves and all). In a world that is suffering from global catastrophes (Global warming, pollution, Illegal logging), we have to recognize that if we don't do anything about it soon, we will face dire consequences. The world is taking big steps in architecture, but I want to take a side step from that, and help realize that we can move forward in terms of building and life, and at the same time, take a lunge by helping our environment.

Carlos Ferrarter: Carlos Ferrarter is the principal of OAB (Office of Architecture in Barcelona) and is known for his design with the boardway on Poniente Beachfront of Benidorm. The reason I chose to include architect Ferrarter in my list is because he was able to to give a touch of new-wave in a setting surrounded with a different sense of style. The buildings surround the mile-long boardwalk are different, I wouldn't know what style they are, but they look old school or modern. Like Architect Ferrarter, I would like to be able to incorporate something new and different in any setting possible.

Zaha Hadid: Though this might be cliche (or not), I find Architect Zaha Hadid the perfect person to emulate when it comes to architecture. Not only are her structures awe-inspiring, but the way she made it to being a big name architect is what caught my attention. When she was fresh out of college, she struggled with her designs, often labelled as too difficult to construct. This is what I like about her. Just because your struggling, it doesn't mean you should give it. It took architect Hadid plenty of years to have her work recognized. And now, she is ranked 69 on Forbes 'The World's 100 Most Powerful Women.'

No comments:

Post a Comment