Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reaction Paper to Prehistoric Architecture

I found prehistoric architecture really interesting because as I previously mentioned, the type of architect or style I plan to go into is sustainable design. This doesn't necessarily mean that I will put mud on the roof of my structures, or use feces as a substitute of cement. I like the concept of how the people were able to use materials around them and construct a home. Also, before listening to our lecture on prehistoric structures, I always thought that there would only be one age and style for their structures, which was a stone approach. I didn't realize that the "Teepee" and "Igloos" fell under prehistoric age because I always thought that these styles were still alive now.

The structure I found most impressive was the "Hogan". This structure comprised wood and mud. In India, where the temperatures would scorch, the Indians would build a normal hut out of wood. After the hut was raised, they would then add mud on top of the hut, which will insulate and regulate the temperature inside the hut. As I said, I find it amazing that simple materials around us can be used for so much more than what they are (Also, I recently learned these facts to be true while watching Man vs. Wild). Also, another structure which is similar to the "Hogan" was the Skara Brae in Orkney Scotland. Inside of using mud, they used grass, which is very similar to those Hobbit homes in the movie Lord of the Rings.

I was fascinated with the theory of how the Stonehedge was formed. The stonehedge was a structure which was made of huge rectangular stones that weighed around 4 tons. The main structures looked like the pi symbol, which was odd because back in the day, it would be near impossible to carry a 4 ton stone, what more lifting it several meters up. Engineer Nick Weegenaar theorized that the people back then used a wheel which had a slot in it so the stone may be inserted, and lifted up by pulling on the wheel.

Also, they were able to make use of 'nature made' structures such as rock caves. And as they progressed, they were able to create artificial caves so that they may use it for shelter.

For me, the most important concept/idea that can be taken from the Prehistoric Era is that people back then were able to build structures and shelters according to their environment using materials around them.


1 comment:

  1. Although not complete. I like your sketches. It has shading against a very ckean background.

    ReplyDelete